Monday, May 8, 2017

Week Seventy: Mission Chismosa

Area: Delano Ward
Companion: Hermana Galvez

This week was really fast and we were able to work hard and teach a lot of people. It was a pretty normal week, but we were able to see some miracles.

This week, the weather was super crazy. At the beginning of the week, it was SUPER hot. Hermana Galvez has been trying to teach my how to read the temperature in Celsius, so this week I learned that 44 degrees is really hot. Later in the week, it was super cold. I don't know why the weather has been going through such strange changes, but it is always a exciting surprise to see what the next day has in store!

The other week, I was spending some time snooping through the area book and I found a name that was recurring through a lot of the records, a man named Eliseo. On a lot of the progress reports, it said that he was preparing for baptism, so I thought that he had been baptized and I hadn't seen him in the ward. However, I was looking through the ward directory and I couldn't find his name. To my further surprise, when we went to the baptism last Saturday, I found a baptismal program that had his name on it, but nobody knew who he was. Over the course of my mission, I have become a chismosa on the mission and so I decided to do some more investigating and I found his phone number. When we went over to his house, he was a cute little old man who talked and talked to us about the corruption in the fields and how he loves to learn about psychology and read people's body language. We came back, and he had studied the pamphlet that we left him and took extensive notes about it. He is so funny. He says that he didn't get baptized the last time because he didn't like his fellowshipper and thought that he was running the Delano mafia. We told him that the member moved away from Delano and that he didn't come to church with us anymore. Then, he said that we are his only friends in the entire town and that he trusted us. He even took us out to eat at McDonalds the other day. He is a super strange, but super cute, old man!

It was Cinco de Mayo this weekend and the people here in Delano go all out! There was a giant parade and everyone was having parties. There was also a huge fair that came to town. We went outside of the gate one day to hand out cards to people as they were going to and from the fair grounds. That was pretty cool. As we were leaving, I felt something go into my ear. It sounded like a giant fly had gone inside and I could feel the little wings flying around, but we were already late to the dinner with our member, so I couldn't do anything about it. Hermana Galvez tried to see if she could see the fly, but she couldn't and there was no way to get it out. The entire way to the dinner, I am pretty sure that I looked like a crazy person because anytime that the fly started buzzing, I started twitching. It was one of the most uncomfortable car rides of my life! When we got to the member's house, Hermana Galvez and I flushed the fly out with some water. It sounded giant, but it was actually super tiny. I am pretty sure that the member was a little freaked out.

On Sunday, we were walking around trying to talk to people and everyone was pretty uninterested. Hermana Galvez asked me where all of the prepared people in the city were and how we could find them and I jokingly replied that we were going to find a prepared family of three that afternoon. After that, the first person we talked to let us into her house. She told us that she had been to our church that morning. We thought that she was a member and felt super bad for not knowing who she was. She told us that she and her three children (two baptismal age) had never been baptized but had been attending church off and on for the last three years. We were able to talk to her for a little bit and she gave us some lemonade and let us sit inside her cool house. It was really nice. We aren't sure if she is being taught by the English elders or not, but it was a really nice surprise to be able to see that there really are prepared people waiting in all places and at all times.

Also, all week long, we have been thinking about going to a little place in our area named Richgrove. We didn't know anything about it, but we have heard that there were a lot of Spanish speaking people there. In the past, I have been disappointed by the little places that I have gone to on the outskirts of my areas, but I was determined to go and see this one. We went last night, and it was the cutest place that I have ever been to! It was just a little place in the middle of the grape fields. Everyone that we talked to there was so cute and we were able to teach some people! I love little towns!

That is pretty much it for the week. We have been able to teach some cool people and I know that I am serving the Lord in his way. I am so happy to be a missionary and I love the gospel! I hope that you all have a good week!

Hermana Blau

No comments:

Post a Comment