Monday, March 28, 2016

Week Twelve: Missions are such a blessing!

Area: Littlerock Spanish Branch
Companion: Hermana White

This week has been good and we have been able to teach lots of people who are really prepared. I am super excited for the work to move forward and for the people who we are teaching to continue to progress.

It is starting to turn into summer here. It feels strange because it is only March, but I think that everything will turn out fine. Hopefully I don't die. Apparently it is a lot cooler here in Palmdale than it is in Bakersfield, so hopefully I don't get transferred there. My first transfer in the mission is seven weeks long because they are trying to balance out the change in the MTC training schedule for the native language missionaries. Transfers are next week, so we will see what happens. There are only fourteen Hermanas in the mission, so it is not actually that hard to guess where everyone will end up.

One of the interesting things that has started to happen with the warming weather is that all of the families come out and sit in their lawns together in the evenings. A lot of people will bring out their charcoal grills and cook pollo and carne. A lot of times, we will come by and teach the entire group. They won't really accept the message, but they will give us some of their food. When we walk down the streets, there is constantly loud Mexican music playing. It feels like we are sharing the gospel with a soundtrack!

This week, we started teaching a really cool family. The mother is a less active member who hadn't been to church in like 20 years. One day, she just showed up to church with her two children. She said that she wants the church back in her life and she wants to help her children get baptized. They are super prepared. They have already been to church three times, even though we have only taught them once. I am super excited to teach them!

Both Hermana White and I got sick this week (although Hermana White was much worse than I was). We were out talking to someone on the streets and Hermana White was telling him about the First Vision. About halfway through, she started looking sick and almost passed out. At the same time, I was feeling sick to my stomach and was thinking about leaving to find a place to throw up. Luckily, we made it to the end of the contact. Afterwards, we kept on talking to people and nothing bad happened. We are better now. 

This week, we got to watch the General Women's Conference. That means that conference is almost here! I don't think that I have ever appreciated Conference as much as I am now. I feel so blessed to be able to listen to the words of the living prophets. The Women's Conference was so cool. I feel like I should be serving people so much more. I love that I have the opportunity to serve others literally all day long. Missions are such a blessing!

Easter was this week as well. It was super strange being here on a mission during a holiday. It felt just the same as any other day. I guess that this is how all holidays should feel when we are really focusing on the reason for them. Still, it was strange seeing other people celebrating with their families. Despite that, I am so glad for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and for the fact that I can live through him. I love that I am able to come out and share the message of the Atonement and Resurrection with others.

I love being here on a mission and being able to teach everyone about the truths that I love. I know that the work that I am doing is good. I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life every day.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. I love you all.

Hermana Blau

No comments:

Post a Comment