Monday, March 14, 2016

Week Ten: Strange Things Happen in Mission Life



Area: Littlerock Spanish Branch
Companion: Hermana White

This week has been really interesting and strange. I love the mission life!

I guess to start out, one of the biggest things that has happened during this week is that I am now the designated driver in our companionship. This Thursday, Hermana White and I went to the gas station to fill up our car. All of the gas stations here are always super full, so it was a struggle to find a parking spot. I was outside the car directing Hermana White as she backed out and she started to get super close to the car right behind us. I tried to signal for her to stop, but I guess she could not see me. Long story short, we got into a small accident. Nothing really happened to either car, but mission rules say that you aren't allowed to drive mission vehicles if you have gotten into a preventable accident. So, I am now the driver. I feel so bad because I am a really bad one. I am 100 percent positive that we are more likely to get into an accident with me at the wheel than Hermana White. Oh, well!

The "massive" damage done in our accident
The weather here is going crazy. Some days it is super sunny and really hot. Other days, it rains super hard and is really cold. I thought that I was serving in the desert! I guess that they need all the rain that they can get here. The roads are not really designed for water drainage, so when it rains, the roads turn into giant lakes and rivers. It is a struggle (especially since I am the driver now).

Yesterday, I was really struggling. Everything that I did seemed to be really embarrassing. As an example, we went to a member's house to pick up some food. As we were getting ready to leave, we were giving all of the hermanas hugs. When I was hugging the last hermana, I don't really know what happened, I guess I didn't turn my head or something, but her nose ended up in my mouth. I didn't know what to say, so we just laughed and left the house. I think that I laughed about that for 20 minutes.
A typical road in Littlerock
Also, we were driving down a long dirt road in Littlerock. We were leaving the area when we saw a man walking to his car. He was old and we thought that he would be super cute, so we decided to stop and talk to him. He ended up being super strange. We were talking about the Restoration and he kept interrupting us and telling stories about his life. Then he stopped us and started telling us about an experience that he had. I will paraphrase it as following:

Jesus came to me and took me by the arm. Then he took me down to Hell. When I got there, I saw an angel. He tried to give me some food, by I know that they don't have any food in Hell (not even salsa). That was when I knew that he was a dirty angel. Then I saw all of the people there. They were crying and screaming and they were NAKED! There was a man and he had a long stick and he was hitting them with it. And my cousins were there. I went to Hell that day.

All during that conversation, Hermana White and I had to keep a straight face. Hermana White had tears coming down from her face and I was sitting there saying, "Oh, really!" and "Wow". We were dying, but he would not let us leave. We talked to that man for about 30 minutes and he kept saying things like that. In the end, we invited him to visit church and told him to read the Book of Mormon. He told us that we needed to accept Jesus in our life. Just normal everyday in Littlerock. What a strange town!

Strange things happen in mission life, but I think it is so fun. I love all of the people that we get to meet and all of the things that we get to do. I also love the spirit that I feel all the time. I know that the church is true and that we can all find true happiness through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love being a missionary. I am so glad that I can share the message of the Gospel with individuals and families everyday!

I love all of you back home. I hope that you are all doing okay and that things are going well for you. Keep up your good work!

Hermana Blau

No comments:

Post a Comment